We are starting Community Jams in the Park as we continue our services outdoors and away from our Portland studio during the COVID-19 outbreak. Our music events help all levels of musicians in our community stay connected thanks to our recent grant from the Fred W. Fields Fund of Oregon Community Foundation as well as our loyal supporters. Please consider donating through Patreon or our website at www.communityjams.org so we can continue to operate and retain our beautiful studio on Madison Street!
How to participate
Step 1: Please review our requirements for participating in Community Jams in the Park. Health and safety are priorities!
• Portland park jams will be held at Sellwood Park on Wednesday evenings 6:30-8:30pm and Saturday afternoons 2:00-4:00pm, weather permitting
• Max attendance is 10 musicians
• Setup time is 6pm on Wednesdays, 1:30pm on Saturdays – please do not arrive earlier.
• Masks required at all times
• 10′ minimum distance between musicians required at all times, more when possible
• Your gear will need to be contained within a 4′ square
• Singers bring your own mics and mic stands
• Important! Digital tablets required for access to bSteele Music App song charts – please bring your tablet and a stand for use while playing an instrument!
• No shared food or drink
• Restrooms available at the park
• Power and amplification are not supplied
• For electric instruments, please bring your own self-powered amps
• Bring your own stool or chair, drinks or snacks to fit into your 4′ space
• We have more time to play if we come prepared with our song choices or arranged for others to sing for us. Browse the bSteele Music App ahead of time (no login required)!
Step 2: Email us with your commitment to Wednesday evening jams OR Saturday afternoon jams until Labor Day (September 7). Please let us know the following:
• Any particular dates that will not work
• What instrument you will be playing
• If you plan to sing (which requires your own mic/mic stand)
Send the email to email@example.com !
Step 3: Wait for an email that confirms your reserved spots in upcoming park jams. Check your spam folders as well. We will do our best to give everyone fair playing time during the summer. Park jams cannot be posted on meetup.com due to the need to unique scheduling requirements.
Directions: We’ll be playing at Sellwood Park, and parking is directional going north along 7th Ave. There is also ample parking in the lot two blocks north. Going north on 7th Ave, enter Sellwood Park at Bidwell and park near the playground. Walk into the park past the playground and restrooms, and we will set up farther back toward the trees.
Other jam alternatives
If you need to stay connected in the safety of your home, please join us on Zoom for a social exchange every Sunday at 1:40, just before our music jam on Twitch. Or view our live music jams on Twitch at
https://www.twitch.tv/communityjams, sharing comments and song requests you have in mind. We love the musical adventure with you! See details below.
This week with Community Jams
Play together again – CJ Park jams at Sellwood Park
Community Jams hosts COVID-conscious park jams by pre-arranged scheduling only
Wednesday, July 29, 6:30-8:30pm
Saturday, August 1, 2:00-4:00pm
Share together on Zoom Socials:
Sunday, August 2, 1:40-2:00pm
Community Jams hosts a Zoom chat where interested musicians and friends can join, talk about our current experiences, and share with friends. We’ll catch up on everybody’s week and have a few laughs.
Join Zoom Meeting here
Personal Meeting ID: 610-826-3816
Watch and play along at home with Twitch Livestream Jams featuring back porch guests (weather permitting):
Tuesday, July 28, 2:00-3:00pm
Thursday, July 30, 2:00-3:00pm
Sunday, August 2, 2:00-3:00pm
Community Jams hosts a livestream on Twitch where everyone can watch and play along downstream at home. We’ll take requests and provide a backing track for everybody to play along at home on their own. We often feature a CJ musician friend on the back porch!
Join us at https://www.twitch.tv/communityjams
Please rsvp to Zoom Socials and Livestream Jams on Portland Casual Jams meetup event pages! Park jams will not be post on meetup.com due to the need to schedule slots individually.
Thanks for your continued support. Stay involved and stay healthy!